Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Book Thief

* * * Spoilers are in this post * * *

I recently finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and I have to say that it is now my all time favorite book. I had actually read the book a few years ago, but at that time I had just skimmed through it and didn't really intake any of the information. When I saw it at a book store a while ago, I though about reading it again, which I did. And I was completely blown away.

I mean seriously, just the first page drew me in. The way the novel is written is amazing and the style is just beautiful.

"First the colors.
Then the humans.
That's usually how I see things.
Or at least, how I try.

* * * Here is a Small Fact * * *
You are going to die.

I am in all truthfulness, attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing me, no matter my protestations. Please, trust me. I most definitely can be cheerful. I can be amiable. Agreeable. Affable. And that's only the A's. Just don't ask me to be nice. Nice has nothing to do with me." -Death, (3)

At first I was confused. Who was the narrator? Where was this story going? But as I trudged through the poetic, dark, yet humorous novel, I began to understand.

The story is about Liesel Meminger and her life in Germany during World War 2. She is sent to live in a foster home after her Communist mother is sent away to a concentration camp, but her brother dies before they arrive. At his funeral, she steals her first book, The Grave Digger's Handbook. She later arrives at her foster parent's home and meets a variety of characters; Hans Hubberman, her foster father how dislikes the Nazi Party and loves to play the accordian, Rosa Hubberman, her foster mother who, despite her tough attitude and fondness of swearing, loves Liesel very much, Rudy Steiner, a young boy who loves Liesel and once painted himself black due to his admiration for Jesse Owens, and Max Vandenger, a Jewish fist-fighter that hides in the Hubberman household.

One of the most interesting characters is the narrator, Death. He is literally Death and he watches Liesel grow up during the novel. Here's a quote describing him:

"* * * A Small Piece of Truth * * *

I do not carry a sickle or scythe.
I only wear a hooded black robe when it's cold.
And I don't have those skull-like
facial features you seem to enjoy
pinning on me from a distance. You
want to know what I truly look like?
I'll help you out. Find yourself
a mirror while I continue." - Death, (307)

He is somewhat sympathetic towards humans and weary of his job, which surprised me because most authors portray Death as some sort of terrifying creature who enjoys death. But what really surprised me was his association with colors. When he goes to gather souls, he pays close attention to what color the sky is.

"Personally, I like a chocolate-colored sky. Dark, dark chocolate. People say it suits me. I do, however, try to enjoy every color I see-the whole spectrum. A billion or so flavors, none of them quite the same, and a sky to slowly suck on." -Death, (4)

The whole novel, however, is not just about Death, but death itself. The novel is, after all, taking place during a war. Once you reach the middle of the novel, you know right away that people are going to die but Liesel will survive through the use of foreshadowing and direct statements from Death saying so.

One other thing I really enjoyed was the relationship between Liesel and Rudy. They both, in their own way, rebel against the Nazis; Rudy does so always answering the question "When was our Fuhrer born?" (298) incorrectly (he always says Easter Sunday) and Liesel does so by stealing books. Rudy also always begs Liesel for a kiss, which she in turn always denies. Only when he is dead does she finally grant him his wish, which I admit made me shed a tear or two. Another touching scene (which is actually one of my favorite ones) is when Liesel simply asks why her brother had to die. They stand up and Rudy puts his arm around her "best-buddy style" (80) and does not once ask for a kiss.

"For now, Rudy and Liesel made their way onto Himmel Street in the rain.
He was the crazy one who had painted himself black and defeated the world.
She was the book thief without the words.
Trust me, though, the words were on their way, and when they arrived, Liesel would hold them in her hands like the clouds, and she would wring them out like the rain." (80)

There are a million more things I could talk about regarding Max Vandenburg, the mayor's wife, the stories within a story, the importance and effect of words, etc. But I think this post is long enough as it is. I honestly don't think my post did the book justice, it's just one of those novels you have to read to realize how amazing it is. Some people might not prefer Death as the narrator and it does take a while to really get into the novel, but once I did, I could not put the book down. Something about it just draws you in.

My rating scale: 10/10

~Lacy

No comments:

Post a Comment