Sunday, February 7, 2010

Avatar: The Last Airbender

Hola! I never watch the football portion of the Super Bowl. I don't really watch the commercials either, but today, I was watching some of the movie trailers and I wanted to talk about the new movie The Last Airbender.

Avatar: The Last Airbender was actually my favorite animated series on Nickelodeon and I am definitely a fan. I was pretty excited that a movie was being made, but I was kind of disappointed that they didn't hire many asian actors. TLA was mainly influenced by the Eastern Asian culutre (ex: martial arts, mythology, etc.), so fans were expecting actors of the eastern asian race
(chinese, japanese, koreans, etc.). I remember Jesse McCartney was supposed to play Prince Zuko...WTF?!...it was like the dragon ball z cast...a white guy had to play Goku. At that point, I wasn't going to bother watching the movie. Later, they had to recast Zuko because Jesse McCartney had schedule conflicts. So, now Dev Patel is the new actor. That's a little better. Anyways, I watched the Super Bowl trailer of The Last Airbender, and it wasn't that bad. I think this might be a great movie, and hopefully they'll cast more asians in the second and third film (Remember: Azula, Mai, Ty Lee, Toph, and others don't show up till later, so there's still a chance!). LOL! I sound like a geek XD. Asians are actually talented, but I guess people don't want to hire asians for these roles because a) we aren't good enough and/or b) we aren't great selling points. D: Hopefully in the future, more asian-americans will have lead-roles and break the barrier.
~Blogger 2

No comments:

Post a Comment